Greta Thunberg: Teen tells UK politicians 'listen to climate scientists'Teenage activist Greta Thunberg, who will meet UK politicians, also praises climate change protesters. Source: BBC TOP
Sri Lanka attacks: Mass funeral on day of mourningThe death toll from Sunday’s bomb blasts rises to 310 and a state of emergency is...
News Daily: Sri Lanka security row, and New IRA admits McKee killingYour morning briefing for 23 April 2019. Source: BBC TOP
SS Iron Crown: WW2 shipwreck found off AustraliaThe SS Iron Crown was sunk by a Japanese submarine in 1942, killing 38 sailors. Source:...
Recent news feed from News Agencies
- Breakingviews TV: Old-school fees
D.E. Shaw is raising fees on its flagship fund to 3 percent of assets and 30 percent of gains. It bucks the downward trend even in hedge fund land, and – as Tom Buerkle explains – it shows how the few firms that have the most are getting more. […]
- Breakingviews TV: IPO games
Zoom and Pinterest both priced their initial public offerings above their indicated range. It’s a sign of confidence, of frothy markets, and of insiders not having to care too much about what new investors think. Robert Cyran explains. […]
- Breakingviews TV: Wealth hedge
Morgan Stanley capped a weak earnings season for investment banks. James Gorman’s shop suffered a bigger slump in core advising and underwriting than peers, but John Foley says a humming wealth-management arm helped it deliver a better return on equity than Goldman. […]
- Breakingviews TV: Going long
The “risk factors” sections in IPO filings are getting positively voluminous. Uber’s tops 35,000 words, and continues a trend that has been going for years. That mostly makes for better-prepared investors, but it also means more homework, explains Rob Cyran. […]
- Breakingviews TV: Goldman 2.0
The investment bank’s revenue and profit dropped in the first quarter, but John Foley spots some good news too: Stable activities like lending make up more of Goldman’s business, and customer deposits are reducing funding costs. Both should eventually boost returns. […]
- Breakingviews TV: Sony stalkman
Pushy investor Dan Loeb is back for a second time to put pressure on the $60 bln Japanese entertainment-to-electronics conglomerate. Robyn Mak and Jeffrey Goldfarb discuss how it’s an opportunity for the PlayStation maker to split the company and create additional value. […]
- Breakingviews TV: Uber arrives
Ride-hailing service Uber Technologies is finally set to reveal its public stock offering documentation. That could include a valuation of up to $100 billion. As Robert Cyran explains, investors in Uber and already-listed Lyft need to take leaps of faith to justify that. […]
- Breakingviews TV: Banker wanted
Wells Fargo avoided Congress’s grilling of bank CEOs Wednesday because it’s still looking to replace Tim Sloan, who resigned last month. A competent leader from an outfit like PNC Financial would be better than pricey talent from the likes of JPMorgan, says John Foley. […]
- Breakingviews TV: Boeing’s hit
The plane maker has lost almost $30 billion in market value since one of its passenger aircraft crashed in March. That’s more than the company is likely to lose through production cuts announced last week. Tom Buerkle explains why Boeing might yet shrink to fit its new valuation. […]
- Breakingviews TV: Med money
A flurry of lawsuits against opioid makers looks to be heading towards the kind of settlement cigarette makers reached over 20 years ago. There are big differences, though, like the complex supply chain through which pills reach patients. Rob Cyran picks through the quagmire. […]
- Abu Dhabi International Book Fair global platform for dialogue between civilisations, cultures: Indian Ambassador
- Sri Lanka attacks could signal new international campaign of terror
- Saif bin Zayed attends 4th Customer Happiness Diploma graduation ceremony
- Amal Al Qubaisi meets Japanese Ambassador
- MOCCAE hosts discussion on Sheikh Zayed’s environmental mastery
- 85% of Hope Probe project completed, mission ready for launch in under 500 days
- MOCCAE, Coalition Circle pledge to transform plastic recycling model in Abu Dhabi
- RTA hosts Waterborne Transport Committee meeting
- MBRU issues ‘Doctors Tolerance Pledge’
- SZGM consolidates its role in spreading tolerance, coexistence between cultures
- Ministry of Tolerance prepares to celebrate Labour Day
- Ma’an reveals new strategy for ‘third sector’ growth
- Ministry of State for FNC Affairs policy reviewed
- Morocco in Abu Dhabi promotes cultural interaction: Noura Al Kaabi
- Sharjah Ruler receives Omani environmental delegation
Tiger Woods says to compete in Dubai Desert Classic in FebruaryFormer world number one Tiger Woods said he would compete in the European Tour’s Dubai Desert...
Naked Police Officer Arrests Naked Fugitive (We Can Explain)An off-duty Swedish policeman was praised for keeping a cool head after recognizing the man sitting...
In Ukraine Presidential Runoff, It’s Comic Versus Chocolate KingAn actor with no political experience easily finished first in Ukraine’s election, and will face the...
A Customs Union for Britain: How One Brexit Idea Might WorkLawmakers came close to endorsing a “softer” British withdrawal from the E.U. that would have eased...
Bahrain sends first civilian case to military courtGovernment authorities did not immediately respond to a request for comment Source: BAHRAIN
Bahrain's Gulf Air says to launch holidays unitGulf Air Holidays will offer travellers a wide range of holiday packages and tailor-made travel solutions...
Bahrain's economy strained as low oil prices persistBahrain’s central bank says net foreign assets dropped 11% to $1.7bn in February Source: BAHRAIN
Kuwait's $4.2bn airport expansion hits construction milestoneEmir of Kuwait inaugurates start of heavy construction work on terminal to handle 25m passengers Source:...
In pictures: International fashion week in Kuwait citySource: KUWAIT
Mission of Gulf armies is no longer restricted to combat, says KuwaitGCC neighbour recognises the work of the UAE Armed Forces in the region Source: KUWAIT
Qatar Airways replaces Dubai's Emirates as FIFA sponsorDoha carrier fills spot left vacant by Emirates when it quit its sponsorship following FIFA corruption...
In pictures: IAAF Diamond League 2017 kicks off in DohaSource: QATAR
In pictures: Emir of Qatar visits Republic of PolandSource: QATAR